School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars


"These were my very favorite growing up. My sister searched until she found the recipe. When I think of lunch in elementary school-- I think of these bars! Yum!" Kerstin Anderson

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars

Cream together the following:
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used a 100% natural peanut butter, it worked just fine)

Add the mixed remaining ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup quick oatmeal
3/4 tsp soda
1/3 tsp salt

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Do not overcook. Cool. Spread thin layer of peanut butter when still warm. Top with chocolate frosting. This was made in a jellyroll pan when I had it. It can also be made in a 9x13 pan.

Chocolate frosting:
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cube margarine (I used butter)
6 Tbsp milk

Bring to a boil. Add:
4 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp vanilla
1 cup walnuts (which I omitted)

Mix together thoroughly, then pour over Peanut Butter Bars while they are still warm, but not hot.

**Unless you are REALLY hungry, I recommended cutting it into bite-size/bar-size pieces.

2 comments:

  1. These were fantastic! I wish I had some right now. I love a recipe that takes me back in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trish! I ate far too many reliving my past. :) I also forgot to mention that I did spray the pan I used with Pam "just in case"-- but it probably isn't needed.

    ReplyDelete